Here is the acrylic portrait I did at Broadstone art society yesterday. I am pleased with the portrait but unfortunately it doesn’t look like the sitter! I still can’t work out what I did wrong but I will keep on trying.
Today’s model at Broadstone art society was Andrea. I did this watercolour sketch while waiting for my acrylic background to dry enough so I could draw on it. The acrylic painting wasn’t so successful bu I may post it tomorrow.
I have been thinking about switching to acrylics for the live portrait sessions at my art group on Tuesday. This is a trial to see if I can can make it work. I chose the subject especially for Anna who has a soft spot for George. I hope I have done him justice.
There is a challenge in March to draw 100 figures in one week. They don’t need to be finished portraits, the idea is to practice. Practice, practice.I thought I would prepare by trying a few famous faces in pen and wash.
One of the watercolour groups I belong to has a weekly challenge where they put up a photo and the challenge is to do a painting with a one hour time limit. This is my effort for this week, There is more that I could do but at least it stops me from overworking it.
Another watercolour inspired by the technique taught by Frances Shearing. This involves laying down washes of colour, letting them run and blend and then picking out pictures with a small brush, adding a bit more colour as required. It is great fun to do and can be applied to a street scene of even a landscape.
Today’s theme in Frances Shearing’s watercolour class was flowers, not a subject I normally choose but with her guidance I managed to paint some tulips.